Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Top 10 picks of 2005

Since this is the time of year for reflecting, I thought I’d reflect on my favourite books published in 2005. I always read on message boards how bad a year readers have found it etc. Well, I’m easily pleased I guess because every year I manage to find quite a few that I’ve loved through the year. I think I’ve blogged about most of the following throughout the year but in case I haven’t, here is a second chance to see the books that turned my crank this year. There are other books not on this list that I gave high marks to at the time, but then 3 or 4 months down the line, I don’t really remember them too much. Which considering the number of books I read a year isn’t surprising. What sets these ones apart is I remember each and every one of them quite vividly. They all made a lasting impression. That I think, sets them apart and makes them my top picks of the year.

To Die for by Linda Howard started the year off with a bang with. I was amazed at how much I loved this book considering it’s a first person book. It was LOL funny in many places and cheered me up in those long winter nights.

Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare blew me away. It was dark and it was different and I loved this book. Nicholas the hero is definitely my most tortured hero for the year. And I love a tortured hero

Lips that Touch Mine by Wendy Lindstrom, a new to me author, was one I picked up because of the (what I think) beautiful cover. What a delightful decision that was! It is such an endearing read. Boyd was one of my very favourite heroes this past year.

A Season to be Sinful by Jo Goodman. She continues to be one of the standards by which I judge historical romance. When so many are same old same old, she is like cream that rises to the top with every book.

Black Ice by Anne Stuart has one of the best anti-heroes I’ve ever read. Although I wouldn’t want a steady diet of them, when one is done right – whoa mama! And Ms Stuart - she done it right!

Unmasked by CJ Barry is one heck of a futuristic. They don’t seem to be publishing them as often as they have in the past – at least in print form anyway. It’s nice to find one as good as this one

Carved in Stone by Vickie Taylor was a real surprise. It was a real impulse buy when I saw it on Maili’s blog – speaking of Maili – just where the heck is she? I’m checking every day – but she’s not shown up yet. Anyway, this is a really great paranormal about - gargoyles of all things.

One Night of Sin by Gaelen Foley was another book I was very pleased with. She is a mostly hot but occasionally cold author for me and I’m glad to say this one was a hot one

Almost Perfect by Julie Ortolon was a very pleasant surprise. I’ve read most of her other books and this one is the best – so far!

Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen got mixed reviews and not everyone liked it, but it worked just perfectly for me.

Honourable Mentions

Dark Lover by JR Ward. I’m not normally a fan of vampire romance but I made an exception for this one because of all the buzz. Most excellent and I’m looking forward to more in the series from this author.

Falling for Gracie by Susan Mallery was another treat. I’d love to see Ms. Mallery get more exposure since she is a great author

Passion by Lisa Valdez is a truly remarkable book. There’s always lots of discussion on this one of the Hate It/Loved It kind. I’m on the Loved It side of the fence

Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu is a most excellent paranormal. This is one I bought because of the buzz and I have to say, thank goodness for buzz.

His Secondhand Wife by Cheryl St. John is a wonderful story of two very wounded people who find each other. I’ve always loved her books and she will continue to be an auto buy author.

The Cobra and the Concubine by Bonnie Vanak is one that made my best of list because of its unusual locale and setting. I frankly was astounded when I saw the grade this one received at AAR. Of all the books they reviewed that I disagreed with, this one stands out as the most glaring difference of opinion.

So – that’s my top 10 and 6 honourable mention list. I’d love to see what every one else has enjoyed this year. Hopefully others will post their top list for 2005 lists. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to post here. I’ll be checking looking for more good books I might have missed.

I think I’ll keep going with more top ten lists. It’s nice to reflect back on loved or not so loved books and authors.


‘til later

11 comments:

ReneeW said...

Wow, what a coincidence. I was just working on my list for my blog last night. And wow, again, I agree on a whole bunch of yours. We have such similar tastes. :)

CindyS said...

Oooh, I love that you have done this. I have only read a few of your list so I am going to make a list of the books I don't own.

I will also do a list but I'm not sure I will surprise anyone with my likes and dislikes.

Oh, did Mr. Impossible not leave a mark or have you not read it. Yeah, that one is on my list ;)

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Renee; it's that great minds thing again isn't it? I'm anxious now to see how much we match!!

Cindy: Yes I did read Mr. Impossible and really liked it. I gave it a 4 1/2 at the time. But when I was going up and down my list to pick out the very creme de la creme of 2005, it didn't quite make it. It didn't have quite the recall power the other ones did. If I did 20 it probably would have been in there. I think she suffers a bit from every book since not quite up to the calibre of Lord of Scoundrels. Lisa Kleypas is the same with Dreaming of You. But not to worry. In my next list of top 10 authors - since I'm bored at work and nothing to do and no one to see me doing nothing - Loretta Chase is for sure on THAT list.

Anonymous said...

Kristie-Firstly, I wanted to say thanks for putting me on your blog. :) I'm having some spamming issues with my blog, but that's life.

I hope you had a great Christmas! :)

Anonymous said...

Kaitlin: I noticed that. I don't have a brave net account and believe me, it was pure luck I managed to get this one going on Blogger. Took me 5 tries to get it up and running and somehow I have 5 different user names - but only one works. So I can't leave comments, but I do check your blog.

Tara Marie said...

Love your list, it inspired me to do my own. We have some matches too.

Cindy, when I looked back at my reading journal, I read Mr. Impossible at the very end of last year or it would have made the 2005 list.

Anonymous said...

Tara: Oh good!!! I can hardly wait to see yours! I've noticed comparing books that we have similar tastes too. The more books I see recommended, the more choice I have when it comes to spending that $100 Chapters gift certificate Ron got me for Christmas heh heh.

Rosario said...

I'm finishing mine :-) It's funny, but I think we have like 1 book in common, Kristie!

ag said...

hey kristie,

I've got some of yours in my list too. :)

And you've piqued my interest about a few I missed -- Linda Howard's 'To Die For' and 'Almost Perfect' by Julie Ortolon.

Anonymous said...

What a great site
» » »

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Paxil thc Shower+area+floor+mats cigarettes antidepressants Gps thief stolen car insurance discount video surveillance linux Hydrocodone symptom withdrawal in fioricet Installing a lift kit in a jeep Canon bjc 210 printer mac 1997 land rover discovery Aaaba baseball