Friday, March 18, 2016

Recent Read

Six of Hearts by L.H. Cosway

Why this One:  I was following the books a fellow GoodReader had just done a review on that sounded very interesting.  It was the second book in the series and when I looked it up on Amazon, I saw the first book, Six of Hearts, was a freebie.  Well that was a done deal for me.

Genre: YA

Steam Level: Makes for the perfect temperature, hot but not enough to burn your tongue

Synopsis: I think in triangles. You think in straight lines.

I show you a table and make you believe it’s a chair.

Smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand, misdirection. I trick and deceive.

But most of all, I put on a good show.

The world thinks I killed a man, but I didn't. Bear with me. It’s all a part of the plan.

Revenge is what I want. I want it for me and I want it for her.
I want it for all six of us.

She doesn't remember me, but she’s the reason for everything. She’ll be my prize at the end of all this–if I can hold onto my willpower, that is. Maybe I’ll slip up a little, have a taste, just a small one.

So go ahead and pick a card. Come inside and see the show. Look at my hands, look so closely that you can’t see what’s happening while you’re so focused on looking. I’ll be destroying your world from right here in the spotlight.

You’ll never see me coming until it’s too late.

I've only got one heart, and after I've pulled off my grand deception I’ll hand it right to her.

So, sit back, relax, and let my girl tell you our story. You’re in for one hell of a ride.

My Thoughts: I’ve been on such a run of good reads lately that I love the fact I’m an avid reader.  And surprisingly to me, a good number of them are YA and told in the first person – both of which weren’t my usual pick until recently.  And Six of Hearts continues this Most Excellent Streak.  I loved it, just loved it.

It starts out very angsty, a young boy living in Ireland, who’s been abused by his father, is hiding out when some shady looking people come and burn his house down.  He loses his family in the fire, his younger brother, his mother and his father.  He stays for a few days with his neighbours before an uncle from the US comes to take him back with him. This is all told from third person past tense.

The book then switches to first person present tense and becomes the story of Matilda, rather ordinary young woman named Matilda.  She lives at home with her lawyer father as well as works as his admin assistant.  They’ve been very close since her mother was murdered when she was 10.

Her world starts to gain colour though when Jay Fields enters the story.  He is an illusionist extraordinaire Jay Fields.  He’s amazing at what he does.  He wants to hire Matilda’s dad to represent him in a libel suit he is planning against the local newspaper whose reporter wrote a scathing article against him almost accusing him of murders.  Her dad refuses, thinking he’s not a good enough lawyer but somehow Jay ends up renting a room in their home.

Matilda is dead set against it.  She has a very strong attraction to this gorgeous, charismatic entertainer and just knows it couldn’t possibly reciprocated, as successful and captivating as Jay.  But he does give off vibes at times that just maybe…….

I know I’m going way overboard on the adjectives, I try not too as a rule, but one simply can’t help it with Jay.  He really is the bees knees, a bag of chips and all that jazz.  He’s brilliant at his illusions and he has what seems to be a twinkle in his eye at all time.  Yet on very rare occasions Matilda catches what seems to be anguish in their depths.

I loved Matilda too.  Though she considers herself ordinary, she’s far from it.  According to others, though she get it herself, she is quite attractive.  Jay seems to think so, though he gives out very mixed messages to her at times.  I love her enthusiasm and wonderment when she sees one of Jay’s illusions.  She’s quick witted and keeps up with Jay quite easily in the quip department.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but I haven’t said anything about the story itself.  To say anything risks giving it away and I don’t want to spoil this book for anyone.  So final word:

GET THIS BOOK!  I LOVE IT AND IT’S FREE FELLOW READERS – FREE! 
You’ve nothing to lose but you can gain a great book and a possible new author.  I know I did. I’m now reading book 2.

Grade: 4.75 out of 5

Would I read it again: and enthusiastic yes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss your reviews. I count on you to tell me about the great ones...
Jocelyn

Unknown said...

KRISTIE!!!!!!! I MISS YOU! I wish we could talk....should I call you? Hugs and such -alison your cottage friend